Monday, February 28, 2011

A Successful First Day!

Well it’s the end of the first day of building and boy did everyone work hard. 
Some of us got up at 6am and did yoga on the roof of the guest house.  Then piled into the van and pickup truck after breakfast for the 30 min drive to the Children’s Village. 

I’m pretty pooped and ready to crawl into bed so I’ll post some photos here so you can see what we got up to today.  I wasn’t wrong when I told Lal that the firefighters know how to get stuff done - as you can see from the photos the first day was a success - electrical wiring almost completed, walls going up on the medical dental building, stairs cut out of the side of the hill so we can easily get to the community centre, lots of sand sifted, roof just about completed.


I didn’t get a chance to set up the kitchen today so that will be my job tomorrow as you can see I’m starting from barebones.

After everyone headed back to Unawatuna Lal and I stayed behind to chat with some of the families in the village and sort out the work schedule for the next week.  As we were sitting there in the community hall I all of a sudden realized where I was and what we were doing.  It’s surreal!  I’ve been going nonstop for the last year and today it finally sunk in that we are really doing this.  I got goosebumps sitting there overlooking the valley of little homes as the sky turned pink and orange realizing that this dream was coming true and that I should savour every moment.  I am so grateful that this great group of men and women who are sacrificing their vacation time to come and work hard in the hot sun are here helping this community of people.  This project with positively impact the lives of over 800 families and children.  What a wonderful thing to be apart of!

I made a couple of new friends today…

Thank you for reading and for all your encouragment and support! 
Eden