Sunday, February 13, 2011

Valentine's in Hong Kong and Sri Lanka...

Day 2 – Still on my way to Colombo Sri Lanka.  Flight was delayed so had to overnight in Hong Kong.  Was put up at the Regal Airport Hotel and given a few meal vouchers.  This is the best thing that could have happened.  I was so tired from the 14 hour plane journey (YVR to Hong Kong) that I was ready to cuddle up for a snooze!  With this extra day to adjust to the time difference I’ll be ready to hit the ground running in Sri Lanka.
I love Skype and I love that I can call home with my iPhone on Skype over the free wireless at the airport.  Long gone are the days of trying to figure out IDD phone booths and worrying about getting charged $20 for a call where you can only hear yourself echoing  ‘can you hear me???’ and then nothing on the other end. 
My room at the hotel is cozy and clean and has the familiar rock hard single Asian beds.  White clean cool sheets.  Showered. Passed out.
Wake up to the sound of the AC kicking in and I’ve slept a solid 8 hours.  Lay there debating if I should get up and test out my new travel yoga mat or try to sleep for another couple of hours.  My stiff body wins… doesn’t matter where I am in the world and how wonky I feel, doing those same simple postures over and over feels like home.  Balanced, stretched and ready to search for something to do until my flight to Singapore> Colombo leaves this afternoon.
Breakfast buffets are usually pretty disappointing for someone who only eats plants, avoids oil and processed ‘food’.  To my delight I found a huge mound of pea shoots, arugula and beet greens I then threw on some lemon, chopped tomato and pineapple et voila a yummy breakfast salad chased down with a cup of miso soup and fresh orange juice. Feelin good!
Head back to the airport I remembered there being a Starbucks… or was that just a delirious mirage on my trek to find the airport last night?  I was right - it kinda bugs me that the site of a Starbucks makes me giggle out loud -something so familiar… I’d rather like to think of myself as someone who would prefer an independent local café and maybe try some chinese green tea but nope - familiarity wins this time and I’m ordering my Grande Tazo Soy Chai Tea Latte extra hot with no foam and a sprinkle of cinnamon … oh yummm it’s just as good as if I were at home. 
In less than 12 hours I will be in Sri Lanka…a country that feels like my second home.  I can’t wait to wake up to the sound of tropical birds singing cheerfully and then sink my toes into the coppers sands and warm Indian Ocean.   In 2006 we put the plan into motion to build this Children’s Village and in a few days I will be there in the village getting ready for the firefighters to get here to help us build a medical dental facility and playground.  Surreal.  Dreams do come true and when the wheel was set in motion to build this village I had no idea what I was getting myself into.  It’s been a long hard road but I am learning to let go because every time it gets too tough a miracle happens and propels us on.  So many miracles.  This definitely has been a lesson in faith and letting go of a need to control details and expectations.  I am consistently taught that this is something that was meant to be and I am just one person of the many people that have been recruited to create the village for children where they can be playful and joyous and nourished and taught.  I feel honoured to be a part of this process.  Thank you for the role that you play as well.
I hope you will all enjoy Valentine’s Day.  My heart is full of love for each of you and thank you so much for your support and encouragement.  Thank you for reading. 
With love and hugs,
Eden