Thursday, March 17, 2011

First week with group 2!

Group 2 arrived on Sunday.  From the moment they arrived they’ve been so enthusiastic about the project and working like mad to get everything finished for our opening ceremony on March 25th.
So far the walls have been painted with the filler and the floor has been finished.  The roof is just about finished on the medical centre.  We got some great news today  that the playground has finally been cleared at customs and will be delivered next week in enough time to have it set up by Friday! 
The highlight this week for me has been to see how the community is really coming together here.  The children look forward to spending time with the guys and gals everyday.  This week the children had 2 days off schools so we had the pleasure of having them around to supervise us.  Yesterday at lunch Sachini and her brother Tivanka entertained us with some traditional Sinhala Dance (see photo below).   Sachini and Chandika are my 2 little sisters here. So sweet and helpful. They have taken me on as their personal project to teach Sinhala and boy do I need the help.  It’s going to be hard to leave them when I go back to Canada. 
I'm having a bit of trouble uploading photos to my blog. Here is one for now and I'll try back later this afternoon and add some more.